Dress Up your Blog with WordPress Post Formats
- What post formats do you use the most?
- I don’t really use any WordPress post formats other than the “standard” post, and occasionally “video”.
- How does the video post work?
- If I post a “video” format post, then all that shows is the video in as wide a part of the screen as possible (whilst still allowing for room for my sidebar). Whereas if I just put a piece of video as inserted media into my blog, I get a title for the blogpost, a smaller format player, and room for text around it. So I choose the format for each video post accordingly.
- I was teaching blogging to some postgrad researchers the other day, and when I showed them the different formats for posts they got quite excited at the thought of not always having to write a long form article every time they blogged. It kindled my curiosity as to what the other formats would look like if used correctly.
- The table above shows all 9 formats that come with the Chalk theme I use for my blog, the one I’ve chosen for this post is “Chat”.
- So that’s why this post is coming up in this new format – it’s emulating a conversation?
- Yes, just use an unordered list (or bullet points to the rest of us) and WordPress does the rest.
- To find out what post formats come with your blog theme, go to the support page for your theme. Then you too can find out if you can talk to yourself.
- Or perhaps use it next time you are reporting an interview.